Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Cinders

($25 - Free Demo)

Step into the shoes of Cinders as she tries to make a better life for herself. Will she find romance? Will she become cold-hearted? Relying on many player choices, this is a new take on an old fairytale. What will your Cinders be?

I should not have bought this game. I played the free demo and was kind of disinterested - but I was swayed by all the other people talking about what an amazing game this was. How it was just beautifully illustrated (it does kinda remind me of an old book) and how the choices you get to make are so important to the story.

Really though, I just should have went with my original idea and not wasted my time or money. The art was nice, but I seldom pay that much attention to the art in games I play. A good story and good characters are much more important to me. As far as the choices are concerned… I will admit that there were a lot - but they really varied in importance. In fact, there was only one choice that really seemed to effect your ending, all the rest were more like which guy you would wind up with.

The story was pretty typical Cinderella fairytale stuff with a few nice twists thrown in that made it interesting to play the first time. However, after the first playthrough, things seemed very unchanging as a whole. The only changes I noticed was what guy you ended up with and the outcome of your… life, I guess.

So, the endings were effect by your answers and so were the guys (ie: which one you romanced) but the story follows a straight path. At least as far as I could tell. I will admit that I didn't playthrough to get each ending. I believe I got three then gave up when I didn't like the corner they had painted me into.

I was really disappointed in the endings too. I felt as though they should have had better closure. After all, I made it through the game and I didn't really feel as though the endings were satisfying. Also it upset me that I made friends with the 'evil-stepsisters' in nearly every game I played and yet you still don't keep in touch with them. In fact, for most endings they kind of are back to hating you. This was a real shame especially considering how insipid the romances were. Really, for characters, the date-able guys were the least interesting of all.

Official Site (I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment