Friday, December 27, 2013

Frozen Essence

(Free - From unbrokenhours)

A young girl has been imprisoned in a crystal for hundreds of years and, when she awakens, she has no memory. She finds herself in a realm that she's told she created, surrounded by three bodyguards and a person known simply as the Oracle. What is her past? What will her future be?

This was a pretty interesting game. Mina (the main character's default name) is almost a blank slate when the game starts and, depending on the path you decide to follow, her personality changes. That was nice, even if I didn't care for some of the personality traits she developed on certain paths.

There's five total guys you can romance. My favorite of them was the unlockable character. I had been hoping that's who it would be after playing through a few other paths. Of the other guys, I think my favorite would probably be Caius. There was another guy I liked a lot - especially on the 'True Path' but on his own path, he and Mina had a very uncomfortable relationship. She was just way to subservient to him. The remaining two guys were both likable - one of them I really liked a lot.

The story was somewhat unique and it takes a play through of each path before you understand the full story. Each path tends to add a little more to the story until everything comes together. There is one path known as the 'True Path' - but even it doesn't answer all the questions. It is a rather bittersweet path and I'm not sure if I recommend playing it first or last. Or halfway through like I did…

This game is quite long. Even on only one play through. There is an obvious point in the game where whose path you're on will be locked in - but that's only about halfway through. If you want to get all the endings, it will take quite awhile. I would also like to note that this is a game that could really use an editor because some of the conversations were too complicated and sometimes letters were mixed up or the wrong word used. Not often, but I don't usually run across this even in free games.

Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment