Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Royal Trap

What better place to start my review that with the first ever otome visual novel that I have played.

The Royal Trap ($20 - Free Demo - From Hanako Games)

Out of curiosity, one day I ran a google search for English otome games. After much digging, I found a website offering a free demo download. It sounded interesting so I downloaded the demo. After only playing the prologue I was hooked.

Madeleine Valois is the Prince of Ocendawyr's companion. Her job is to make sure Prince Oscar stays safe, doesn't walk into any political minefields and makes an advantageous marriage. Unfortunately, things are not going at all according to plan. Madeleine and Oscar are at coming out party of young Princess Cassidy when things start going dreadfully awry for out heroine.

I won't say anymore about the plot, lest I spoil it. Let's just say, if you like the demo I believe you'll love the game. I know I sure did.

I honestly wasn't expecting to find an action/adventure VN. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this game and, I will admit, not really knowing what to expect going into it made it all the more exciting.

The characters themselves were quite an interesting mixed bag.

Up first is Prince Callum, elder brother to Princess Cassidy.



I chose his path first mostly because I really liked the way he and Madeleine worked together. They made a really great team and, besides, just look at him. Anyway, I wound up really liking his character and what I probably liked best about him was the passion that he approached everything with. Ultimately, he was one of my two favorite guys from the story.

The next guy I decided to woo was none other than Prince Oscar himself.



I figured that he was probably the obvious choice as well as being one of the main characters to the story. I really wasn't that impressed with him. He acted like a bit of a brat sometimes and I just didn't like how Madeleine reacted to him. I'd say his story detracted the most from the strong, independent woman that Madeleine obviously was. I also felt he didn't have much depth to him. For these reasons, he was my least favorite of the romance-able options. (Possibly of all the characters.)

Next we have Prince Nazagi, a visiting apothecary (okay, not what they call him, but what else could he be?)



My other favorite guy. What I liked about him so much was the way your understanding of his character grew a bit over time. Really, I thought he was probably the most interesting of the whole bunch and, after getting his 'happy end', I would love, absolutely love, to continue his story and find out what happens next.

Finally, the last path I followed, Gaston. Of the sparkles.



The second thing you notice about this guy is how absolutely over the top he is. (The first being his very…glittery appearance.) Everything Gaston says or does is with a dramatic flourish. Honestly, I was left thinking that he was the sweetest guy of the who group - even if he is also very odd. This impression (the sweetness, not the oddness) was helped along by a reveal late in his path.

Before I give you a quick summery, I want to leave you with a picture of gorgeous Princess Cassidy, who was the focal point of pretty much everything - some paths more and some less.



Final thoughts is that this game has wonderful replay value - that way you can catch on to all the things mentioned in one path but not the other. I also loved the music that was used - especially the main theme song. Click here if you would like to listen to the full theme song on youtube.

All images taken from the official trailer. (That way there's no spoilers. Well... Except one, that will probably be missed unless you've already played that path.)


Follow that link and you can find a bit more information about the game, the trailer and a link where you can buy the game or download the free demo.

Though I'm not rating it, I will admit that this game has set the bar rather high for other games.

-Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment